Drinks & Dining
Island-Inspired Dinner & Music At Home (Recipe)
Just a taste of this flavorful seafood entrée reminds us of the beach.
Hailing from the Spanish island of Ibiza, Grilled Turbot on Sauteed Pak Choi Papaya Vegetable Flavored with Coriander & Rice Vinegar is an authentic recipe by The Ibiza Catering, a popular local catering company.
To create an island-inspired atmosphere at home, check out the recipe and mood-setting music below.
- 1 Turbot fish (about 2Kg - 2,5 Kg): Order the the turbot in advance at your fishmonger filleted and portioned. You need 120g - 150g turbot per person.
- 1 quarter papaya
- 4 pak choi
- 1 red onion
- 200g baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 20ml rice vinegar
- 200ml fresh orange juice
- 100ml dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 branches fresh coriander
- 2 limes
- Sun flower oil
- Light soy sauce
- Black pepper from the mill
- Chop the coriander and put it to the side (keep four leaves to garnish the plates later).
- Peel the papaya, remove the seeds.
- Rinse the seeds of the papaya and drain it well: Papaya seeds are
- edible, but keep in mind, they are a bit spicy.
- Cut the papaya in 3 cm dices of equal size and put it to the side in a medium sized bowl.
- Remove the peel and the stalk of the red onion, cut in half, then cut into fíne strips.
- Keep the red onion stripes together in the bowl of papaya.
- Wash the pak choi and drain it well.
- Cut the green of the pak choi in rough pieces.
- Cut the white length wise in medium fine strips.
- You can mix the green of the pak choi with the baby spinach and the chopped coriander together in a medium sized bowl and the white of the pak choi together in the bowl with the red onion and papaya.
- Season the turbot fillets with salt.
- For the turbot, preheat the grill (you can prepare the turbot in a pan).
- You can prepare the vegetables in a a big pan or a shallow pot.
- Start to prepare the vegetables first.
- When the pan is preheated, add the white of the pak choi the red onion stripes and the papaya dices in to the pan and stir it for one minute.
- Then, wipe it off with the white wine, rice vinegar and the orange juice.
- Add the brown sugar. Let it boil for at least one minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the green of the pak choi, the baby spinach and the coriander in to the pan. Stir it and season it with a bit of soy sauce.
- Now, grill the turbot fillets on each side for at least 3-4 minutes. The turbot should be glassy in the core.
- Remove the turbot from the grill and put it on a plate.
- Cut the limes in to halves and squeeze the juice on the turbot fillets.
- Put the black sesame seeds into the pan with the vegetables and mix it. Distribute the vegetables with a tong (to not pick up to much gravy) on four plates.
- Then, arrange the turbot on top of the vegetables and garnish it with papaya seeds and the coriander leaves.
- Suggested Side Dish: Basmati Rice
Marcella Koronna, resident DJ at Pura Vida Beach Club in Ibiza, suggests this upbeat track:
“Who Knew” by Osaze featuring Jaidene Veda