Drinks & Dining
The $100 Cocktail Everyone Is Raving About In Aspen
Reportedly, the Aspen crowd can’t stop raving about a one-of-a-kind après-ski cocktail.
It’s called the Manhattan 100, served exclusively at the element 47 restaurant at five-star luxury hotel The Little Nell in Aspen, Colo. The drink combines bourbon, homemade sweet vermouth, and cherries, to name a few (the complete recipe is below). The price? $100.
Yes, if you want to experience the Manhattan 100, you’ll have to shell out a nice, crisp benjamin. Fortunately, according to sources who’ve tried it, the Manhattan 100 is well worth its rather exorbitant price tag. Plus, the venue is known for excellent service; the cocktail is prepared individually on a cart beside each guest’s table.
Remember, if you’re bringing a date along, consider your expenses for the evening. We’re talking about a minimum of a $200-$400 bill for a couple of drinks (these aren’t exactly happy hour prices).
But here’s another way of looking at it: it’s not just a drink, it’s an experience — and most likely, an unforgettable one.
Can’t make it to Aspen? Using the recipe below provided by the great folks at The Little Nell, you can make this $100 drink at home:
- 3 oz Michter’s 10-year Bourbon
- 2 oz Little Nell House Made Sweet Vermouth
- 6 drops element 47 Orange Bitters
- House made Coffee and Cocoa Nib Cherries
- House made Chinese Five Spice Cherries
- In a glass mixing beaker, fill with large ice and add the Bourbon, Sweet Vermouth, and Orange Bitters.
- Stir with a long cocktail spoon for about 2 minutes or until a very thin layer of frost starts to form on the outside of the beaker.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass and serve.
- Photo Credit: C2 Photography